Friday, August 9, 2013

Classroom Library: Labor of love

I love thrift stores. Whether it's searching Goodwill for the color-of-the-week or just scouring racks for something unique - thrift is a hobby and an art. I'm not ashamed to say all of my Ann Taylor and Banana Republic clothes are thrift. 

There is a down side though. Books.

Thrift stores are great for cheap books. But with over 1,000 books in my classroom, I've really taken this to the extreme. The thing is, I just can't cut myself off. Now that I'm moving to the elementary level, it's even worse; I have an excuse! 

My addiction to books isn't the only bad thing about my love of thrift stores. When I bring a bag of books home, my hyper-organized self needs to level and catalog the books before I introduce them to my students. This means going to Scholastic Book Wizard and writing levels on the inside of the book, taping a color coded sticker to the outside of the book, and then adding it to my online database and book check-out system (Classroom Organizer by Booksource). This is a lot of work, but it's worth it. Here's why: 
  • Leveling your library allows you to make suggestions for independent reading of books your students will actually be able to read 
  • Stickering books gives my students a visual of the texts that are too easy or hard; this helps them be more efficient when checking out books and it also motivates their reading when they find a book they want to read but is too hard (I always set this book aside for the student so she knows it is "on reserve" for when she is ready for it)
  • I have a database to track what my students are reading, what type of books I need, and the titles of books that need to be returned
Moreover, I know it's worth it because, each year, I have students return to my classroom to ask to check out a book from the classroom library after they are no longer in my class.

My favorite site for setting up a classroom library comes from Beth Newingham. You can also view my Powerpoint for creating a classroom library which I presented with a colleague at our district's professional development institute last year. Many schools are fortunate enough to have the resources to provide a classroom library for each teacher. But if you don't have a well-stocked book nook in your room (Richard Allington says 500 books are adequate), here are some sources for building your library:
  • thrift stores (of course!)
  • local libraries (Henrico County libraries sell books for 25 cents each!)
  • First Book Marketplace
  • The Book Thing of Baltimore (road trip, anyone?!) 
  • Amazon and E-Bay / Half.com (best for cheap used guided reading sets!)
Regardless of where your library comes from, remember there is something magic about a book that's been handpicked, one that's already been enjoyed. So, no matter what your library looks like, don't forget the element of thrift. My students love reading the inscriptions that are often found on the inside of second-hand books, flipping through someone else's notes, and unfurling the dog-ears of an abandoned book as they pass the page someone else didn't. 

I do, too. 

My classroom's library fiction corner (2012-2013)
The non-fiction area is near computers

No comments:

Post a Comment